To celebrate, proclaim and reflect Christ's Love
To live in our community and welcome its diversity
To worship as a people set free by God's Grace
Sunday service and children's church at 11:00 a.m. - Sundays July and August 10:00 a.m.
Weekly and Monthly
• Mid-week study, reflection
• Joyful Heights rehearsal
• Good Food Box
• Parents of Preschoolers
• Groups for children
• Daily Bread Food Bank
• Educational forums
• Parish Nurse Clinic
Throughout the Year
• International Dinner
and Variety Show
• Christmas Concert
• Healing, meditation services
• Gardening Day
• Picnic for Children's Church
• Welcome Back Barbecue
• Fundraising Dinners
• Special events
Woodbine Heights Baptist Church!
We are pleased that you have found Woodbine Heights Baptist Church (WHBC) on the world wide web. We'd be even more pleased to greet you in person as we gather for worship, study, service and camaraderie at the corner of Woodbine and Sammon in East York. Our congregation takes seriously the call of God through Jesus to be present with and for our community. Our facility is constantly filled with activity, whether it be WHBC events or community group activities. Some of the activities include a Pastoral Counselling Education Group, Sparks, Brownies and Beaver Scouts, and an ongoing partnership with L'Arche Toronto.
We are a congregation more interested in struggling honestly with the questions of life than dictating easy answers. We take the scriptures seriously without reading them literally, and value God's creation and our human lives and relationships as ways of experiencing God's presence in the world. Among our small gathering are people from a variety of religious, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. We seek to be a people of inclusion and embrace, welcoming all persons who wish to be part of a community seeking and practicing faith in life.
Please join us on Sunday mornings at 11 o'clock for a time of reflective worship. Or if you prefer to connect individually with the pastor or parish nurse give us a call at 416-467-8987. You can also email further inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope to engage with you soon.
bob paterson-watt, pastor
SALT AND LIGHT LOG
"You are the salt of the earth. You are the Light of the World."
Here are some ways we bring savour to the earth, and shine a light in the world.
- rides are provided so others can come for worship
- meals are prepared and served in an expression of hospitality and humane solidarity
- volunteers give of their time and energy to serve food to neighbours through the food bank
- seniors checking in on seniors, allowing them to stay in home a bit longer
- support for one another at special events, such as author talks at the TPL
- anonymous purchase of 2 space heaters for single-parent family of six in cool-ish apartment
- care for the building in sacrificial, ongoing ways to make it safe and usable and clutter-free and welcoming
- simple acts of kindness (checking in on folks who are unwell, pushing cars out of snowbanks)
- family looking after family, as aging parents require more care. WHBC family extending the care for and with each other
- musical leadership in quiet, consistent and other-affirming ways
- thoughtful and caring adults providing Christian Education for our children
- leadership with children in the wider community: time, attention and mentoring through Guiding and Scouting
Coming Up ...
Soup'N'Bread Lunch On Sunday June 5th we gather for worship and communion at 11am, followed by our monthly Soup'n'bread lunch. Our Quarterly Meeting follows lunch. Gather with your neighbours for worship. Be nourished by communion, good company and a delicious lunch.
Pre-Schoolers' Drop-in Each Tuesday morning from 9 - 11, caregivers and their pre-schoolers are welcome to come for a time of free play and interaction. Riding toys abound, snacks and beverages find their way her most weeks, and there is always good company. See you here.
Summer Drama Day Camp An exciting time! Monday August 15 though Friday August 19, 9 - 3 each day, For children ages 8 through 12, actor, writer, and director Dennis Hassell will be leading a Summer Drama Day Camp. God's world of beauty and wonder is our stage, and the emphasis is on fun and learning dramatic skills through the week. It ends with a Showcase on Friday evening (7pm), followed by refreshments. Cost for the week is $160 ($125 if registered by June 19). Email email@example.com for information and to request a registration form. SPACE IS LIMITED!
Sunday Worship Our Summer worship time moves to 10 a.m. starting on Sunday, June 26th and going through up to and including Sunday September 4th.